Tuesday 27 November 2012

Batik

As everyone (should) know, batik is made from using a manual wax-resist dyeing technique you would normally put on a piece of cloth. I kid you you not, it takes patience and skill to make batiks.

 JOURNEY
We had a batik trip the other day and initially we were supposed to go to Terengganu but due to the bad weather, it became a day trip. The day started with everyone going to the bus when suddenly haha I was asked to join by my friends to go with them by car. Though hesitant because I had a sense something bad is going to happen, I joined. Turns out we got lost. For about 2 hours. I swear the whole entire ride I thought about was omg I am never gonna do this ever again lol.

We went around circles in Kl and even outside of KL, but the last 30 minutes. I’ve had it and decided to call my dad because he works in Berjaya and who knows, maybe he knows the way. -He knows the way. Thank you Father. HAHA. When we were reaching, we contacted Mr Charles just in case the road was correct and we were right (finally)

So we rush the last 15 minutes and managed to make our batik. A MIRACLE I had come up with 4 designs but due to time constraint, I had to choose the simpler onw but at the end of it, it came out nice! Inspired by modern batik.

CONCEPT
The theme was water and those are shells as you can see. The streaks of colours emanating from the shell are their reflections from the sunlight and also it’s like the other parts of nature had a role in making the colour change. Each colour has it owns representation; Blue colour represents Tranquility, Purple represents both Creativity and Imagination, Pink represents Femininity. The shells on the other hand, give offs a comfortable energy.

FACT:
Batik was very popular back during the olden days in our country, Malaysia. The trend unfortunately died down due to exposure of other new types of fabrics that were selling in Malaysia. But not until the late great Datin Paduka Seri Endon Mahmood came into the picture and made a move; make it come back alive by modernizing it. She made the batiks looked fresh and sophisticated. She wanted Batik to be a success not only locally but internationally as well.
FACT 2:
Did you know that the people who work for the government have to wear batik every Thursday?

No comments:

Post a Comment