Friday 19 October 2012

STEAM PUNK

 When all of of us were assigned to do a sketch based on steam punk, I had trouble on what to do because I had so idea what steam punk really is. So the first thing I had done when I reached home, immediately search on films based from it.

 
Lucky for me, being a Hayao Miyazaki fan, one of his animated films had a steam punk theme. The film was called, 'Howl's Moving Castle' just in case you haven't watch, I Highly recommend that you do. It honestly is interesting how he puts these elements into the film. Not only are the designs spectacular but how he managed to make the film worked!

 
As far as I know, it comes from the Victorian era, but include advanced machines based on 19th century technology and somehow supernatural as well. I would also say that it takes a whole new world all together. I bet you would agree to this because Steampunk is a genre and a design aesthetic don't you say?

 
What I notice about Steam Punk is, mostly it involves a lot of gears, mix with a somehow a futuristic twist. Kinda robotic whimsical if you say. Oh and of course, machinery! I would say, cyber punk. It doesn't just end there, the buildings, fashion, culture, art everything is astonishing. You could even sense somehow a dark sorrow aura in it, almost goth.Various modern utilitarian objects have been modded by individual artisans into a pseudo-Victorian mechanical Steampunk style.

Here are more devices and things inspired from Steampunk


Dagmar’s “Steam Amp”
Steampunk inspired Cake!



http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md8423itVm1qfzxa7o1_1280.jpg
Hotair Airlines by Ito-Saith-Webb

Oh and enjoy some steampunk inspired music video :)




Behold, this is my interpretation of steampunk with a certain style to it. So basically the concept is a pathway of virtual reality, you can see (hopefully you can) I've drawn a somehow giant pointy gears which is actually a vortex. The top part of the right side globe is the projector that projects the vortex. The bridge right there well, it's the pathway towards the vortex :D How I got the inspirations? Well from the research above and unexpectedly Thor. I like the outcome of this since it's kinda abstract yet machine-y.

No comments:

Post a Comment